Friday, April 11, 2014

Day 6 - Not Ashamed

But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; indeed, he has prepared a city for them.   Hebrews 11:16     

When my friend Robert, a chaplain in the prison system here, asked me to come and speak at the prison where he works, I admit that I was a little hesitant. I'd never been to a men's prison, and wasn't sure what to expect.  I also wasn't sure what I had to share with them, but my friend wouldn't give up, so I agreed to go and speak at the weekly chapel service.  One of the main reasons I agreed is because of the fact that a high percentage of the prisoners are Roma and I thought it would be a good opportunity to see how they live there. 
   Like most Czechs, the prisoners love singing.  In visiting with the prisoner who led the singing (a Roma man), I found out that he came from Litomerice, the town I lived in when I first came to the Czech Republic. We talked about our favorite places there and some people we might both know and we both got a little teary-eyed as we talked.  
  They spent the first 20 minutes of the service singing, mostly praise songs, but also a few popular Czech songs. Then it was my turn to share. I gave a brief testimony, and spoke about the work I do here in the Czech Republic and then let them ask questions. Not surprisingly, their questions were more about life in America and why I chose to live here, but some were also interested in why I am a missionary. This gave me the chance to share my conviction that we are all missionaries no matter where we are.  I truly believe that God is not ashamed to be called their God and has indeed prepared a city for them.

Please pray:
  • For Roma prisoners and their families in the Czech Republic. Pray that they will find hope in God's promise of a heavenly home.
  • For the Prison Chaplains in the Czech Republic; this is a new concept here and the funding and other support they receive is minimal.    

Rachel Brunclikova, Czech Republic


No comments:

Post a Comment