Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Learning About Roma (Gypsies)

My husband, Ralph, and I serve among the Romany of Hungary. However for the last nine months we have been in the USA on off-field assignment. During this time we have had a number of goals to accomplish. One of our primary activities has been to speak to churches and groups about the way the Lord is moving among the Roma. We tell the stories of life and God's love.

This past weekend, I, Tammy, was privileged to be apart of the Women's Missionary Union of Virginia's (WMU) Mom and Me weekend. Nearly 1000 1st-5th grade girls and their mothers gathered at the Eagle Eyrie Baptist Conference Center in Lynchburg, VA to learn about missions and have a good time together. The theme of the weekend was "Magnificent Moldova" and the offering the girls gave will be sent to the Ruth School for Romany children in Bucharest, Romania.

I enjoyed being with the young girls and helping to plant seeds that they too might one day be called to be the presence of Christ somewhere in the world. I was once in their shoes, having learned about missions as a young girl growing up in a Baptist church. It was an opportunity for me to give back and I was grateful. And it was a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment